Saturday, January 24, 2009

Mix09 looks to be a winner: Bill Buxton to give keynote

I probably won’t be able to attend Mix09 (March 18-20, 2009 Venetian Hotel, Las Vegas) again this year–with chemo I just can’t plan that far ahead and by the time I know if I can go, Mix has been sold out. This year looks like it’s going to be the same. But of the last couple years that I’ve missed going to Mix, I think I’m going to regret this year the most. Why? Because leading user experience advocate Bill Buxton is going to give a keynote.


You might know Bill Buxton from his book “Sketching User Experiences: Getting the Design Right and the Right Design.” Very creative. I’m hoping that the Mix team puts his keynote online. I’ll be sure to watch. As an aside: I wonder if he’s going to have an open dialog or roundtable with any of the attendees. I understand he’s fascinating to listen and talk with.


For those of you interested in going, Mix09 appears to be less than many of the other recent Microsoft conferences. With early registration (before Feb 13), we’re talking $999. Actually, in today’s economy let’s be fair, even $999 is going to be rough. I see that there’s a $595 rate for students. Hmmm. Why don’t they include unemployed people at this rate too, kind of like the IEEE is doing with its conferences?? Sure would make sense to me. Of course, even $595 is going to be tough for many when there’s no income coming in. Maybe if Microsoft were to be upfront about a good swag bag the price and opportunities could be justified. Eh, since Mix has sold out in previous years, I guess there’s probably no reason to give anyone a break like this. Might as well make as much money as you can off of those willing to pay.


Anyway, March 18-20. Put it on your calendar.