While waiting for my order to arrive, I started reading the CherryPal website and a few questions started to take shape. Matt from CherryPal was kind enough to answer them. You may have more questions and so feel free to leave them in the comments. I didn't want to tie up too much of Matt's time on the phone. I was just happy to reach someone.
1. How extensive are the changes to the Linux distribution? Do you share the changes with the community?
There are significant changes that we've worked on for some time. At this point we are not sharing these changes but we are committed to the open source community and will work with anyone who wants more information.
2. Have you considered looking at http://www.splashtop.com/ for instant on?
No, we haven’t. Focus has been on the idea of cloud computing as the interface and using the cloud to avoid headaches. We believe that if more things are done remotely then the user experience improves. By distributing the process to big servers then we believe the consumer experience should be easier.
3. How does someone update the Linux distro if a security problem is discovered?
Good question. Right now the engineers are working on it. I don’t have all the information and would be guessing. Sorry.
4. Is it possible for the Firefox browser to be updated?
Those are updates that will happen locally. Firefox, media player (branded an open source), and openoffice are all locally installed.
5. What happens to a person's data if your company folds? [https://www.youos.com just folded and simply asked people to backup files]
First, the consumer can use USB external hard drives. Second, we would provide links to other existing services.
6. Bonus question: When will you be shipping?
We are still a couple of weeks away before we receive the shipments in the U.S.