Monday, July 21, 2008

Will CherryPal Be My Pal?

For the first time in over 5 years, I am officially tossing my hat into writing a product review. What product has motivated me from the dead pool? The CherryPal. I pre-ordered the unit about a half-hour ago. I'm more excited about this product than others were about the iPhone. No, really. If you could see my face then you would see the excitement.


Billed as a device for the cloud, I am expecting a bit more from the system. First, the Linux-based system operates on 2-watts. Therefore, I am looking for a power savings. Second, I am interested in the embedded Linux. The site says there will a 20-second boot time. We'll see. Third, with only 256 MB RAM and 400 MHz processor, will the system allow me to work efficiently. I prefer 7 to 8 tabs open in FireFox, opening and closing sites quickly, and bouncing between sites often. And, to make things more challenging, a video or vblog is playing in one of the tabs. 


Here are the specifications:



  • Freescale’s MPC5121e mobileGT processor, 800 MIPS (400 MHz) of processing

  • 256 MB of DDR2 DRAM

  • 4GB NAND Flash-based solid state drive

  • WiFi 802.11b/g Wi-Fi

  • Two USB 2.0 ports

  • One 10/100 Ethernet with RJ-45 jack

  • One VGA DB-15 display out jack

  • Headphone level stereo audio out 3.5mm jack

  • 9vDC 2.5mm 10 watt AC-DC adapter power supply

  • Weighs 10 ounces

  • 1.3” high, 5.8” x 4.2” wide


Is there anything that worries me about the product? Actually, I am concerned about the company. According to the Press Release, "CherryPal's revenue model is based on advertising, which will be rolled out later this year." Uhm - can we get some more details - please!?!


What do you think? Are you interested in the CherryPal? Is there something in the review that might answer a question or two? Let me know your thoughts. It's been a long time since writing a review.


As a tangent, I have been burned by Drupal validation errors when blogging. I am not able to use Windows Live Writer with vbDrupal and so I cheat. Lately I've been writing the blog post in WLW and doing the copy-paste trick. It's a pain. Does anyone know of a better way? And just to clarify - no desktop application logs into vbDrupal properly to allow blog postings. Yes, BlogAPI is set properly.